Friday, October 17, 2008

Mexicans First Aid Kits and Home Remedies

So we've talked about it before, and now we're going to define it a little bit better.

What is a Mexican First Aid Kit actually filled with? What do some of the Mexican home remedies consist of? Let us explore...

1.) Vicks Vap-O-Rub. Apparently it works on everything, including sprains, strains and swelling. Young mexican Britney Spears looking chic came in to the ER tonight with her little girl. Apparently a glass table had fallen on the little girl's foot and it was bleeding a bit, so of course the obvious thing to do is? Wait for it.... PUT VICKS ON IT!!! Of course!!! Bah! hahaha

2.) A red string.... Yes, you read that correctly. A red string. It is used to cure hiccups. You lick the string, place it on the forehead of the hiccupee and it is said to cure the hiccups. Try it, I never have, but who knows, weirder shit has worked.

3.) An Egg. And egg is used by curanderos or believers in some sort of magic used to cure the "evil eye". You rub the egg all over the body and it is said to take out the evil spirits in you (or some shit like that, I'm sure if anyone can correct me, they will, but that is the best way I can explain it) After that you crack the egg open, and it is supposed to be black and you put it in a glass and leave it under the sick persons bed so the evil spirits will stay away. I don't know how all of this works as I've never been in to magic and that stuff, but that is how it was explained to me

4.) Savila, or Aloe Vera Plant. Now this one I understand. It is actually a very good herbal remedy for many things. How do I know this? Had it used on me many times as a child and in my youth. I've even gotten to use it on my own kiddo. It is a very good plant to have around. I recommend it highly.

5.) Monkey Blood (merbromin) is a antaseptic that turns red and looks like monkey blood. Used on any type of scratch, scrape or laceration. Its a must have. haha

6.) Rubbing Alcohol. This one baffles me... Every time (both as a medic and an ER Tech) someone has passed out in the Mexican community, there has been a faithful (or 2 or more) family member present to rub down (yes, the entire body) the faintee's body with Alcohol. Why? meh, I don't know. but its always made me laugh. Alcohol is used widely and regularly in the Mexican community.

7.) Salt and Lime. Don't ask me, but I'm told its to cure Pink Eye. It kills the infection, and if you're infection is not that bad, you can use that shit for a beer too. Hahaha, fucking mexicans. Too funny

8.) A quarter (yes, the monetary kind), a candle, and a glass. You take a quarter and place it on the chest, light the candle and drop some wax on the quarter then stick the candle to the quarter. Then you put a glass on top of it and it sucks any air in the body out that may be causing pain. I'm still laughing about this one.

9.) A Piece of Newspaper rolled into a cone. Stick it in your ear, light the end furthest from head on fire, and let it burn down so it can suck away ear wax and ear pain. The vortex of fire is a cure all!!!

10.) Alcohol mixed with marijuana, for rheumatoid arthritis. You take a dime bag, or a twenty bag, depending on how bad your arthritis is and you put the weed in the alcohol, let it turn green, then rub it over the affected areas. I say take the weed, smoke it all in a bowl, carb it and everything, then get a bottle of Glenlivit, and drink it. All pain gone. Have beer on hand for hangover next morning

11.) Mustard and Toothpaste. If you have any type of burns on the body, you take a healthy amount of Mustard or Toothpaste and rub it all over the burns. I have no clue in hell what all this can do for a burn, but I've seen it on too many occasions. And if nothing else, use butter. you'll taste better.

12.) Manzanilla Tea. This one is actually supposed to work. Its for cholic like symptoms. Seems to work.

13.) Bacon and Salt. OMG!!! I about pissed myself laughing about this one just now. If you have a boil/abscess on your body, you take a piece of bacon, some salt and a bandaid. Put some salt, then bacon, then the bandaid on the boil/abscess and soon it will open and be cured up. I'm still laughing

14.) Checking pediatric Temperature. If a child (of the male persuasion) has fever, his balls will be sagging. priceless, thank you Jessica

15.) "La Moyera" Sunken Fontanelle Treatment. Having sunken fontanelle's in a chid also known as 'dehydration'. You take the child and turn him/her upside down and pop them on the soles of their feet until the fontanelles pop out. Or you take your thumb and push on the upper palate of the mouth until it pops back out.

16.) Baby's that wont sleep.. Bathe them in tub filled with water and Lettuce (unknown if carrots, salt and any particular lettuce is needed.)

17.) Whiskey. This is used for the gums of infants that are teething. It soothes the pain.

18.) Also, never go outside with your hair wet, cuz you'll get pneumonia.

19.) Potato slices on bruises, helps to make the bruising go away and the potato turns purple.

20.) A bowl of eggs. If you happen to be a man with a low sperm count, or infertile, you can take a bowl, put water in it, and place the eggs in the water. All this at regular temperature. Sit down, with your balls in the water, and your sperm count should increase significantly.

21.) Warm tomatoes. You slice up some tomatoes, warm them up and place the slices on your neck when your have tonsilitis. This is to help decrease the swelling of the tonsils.

22.) A cooked bag of onions. If a child has asthma, you take a cooked bag of onions, place it on the child's feet and the asthma should clear up. Also, a chihuahua breed dog, sleeping with the asthmatic child, should clear up any asthma problems. Of course the chihuahua ends up with the asthma.

23.) Potatoes can also be used for welders eyes. Cold potatoes out of the fridge, sliced, placed on the eyes and wrapped with what I'm assured MUST be a RED bandana for this to work.

24.) Garlic. Used for Hypertension. Whole cloves can be taken if you are feeling chest pain and fear you may be having a heart attack. Also, if you get a cactus thorn in you, you can put garlic on it to remove any remnants of said thorn from your body.

25.) Salt and Lime... yet again. If you have athletes/stinky feet, you can soak them in Salt and Lime water for a good amount of time to get the stink off.

26.) Spider Webs & Onion skin. If you have a cut or laceration, place either onion skin or spiderweb on said cut to stop the bleeding.

27.)Empacho. Also known as being full. What they do to you is while you're laying on your stomach, a chunk of skin on your back is pinched and pulled away from your body until you feel better. Don't ask me, I've never had it done.

and if you get your feet wet, be sure to get your hair wet so you don't get sick, it kinda evens things out.

I want to mention that all of these remedies are copyright property of Marcos J. de Peña. They can be used by anyone.

I also want to thank, Lupe Ruiz, Lupe Tech, Tito and Jessica for the input and for nearly giving me a stroke laughing my ass off.


If anyone (mexican or other has any home remedies or anything else I may have left out) chime in and let me know.

I'm going home.

11 comments:

Jessi said...

This is hysterical!!!

Marcos said...

I'm working on more. It is now my goal to ask anyone of hispanic origin about these and compile a list... one that I will keep updating, so stay tuned.

Anonymous said...

my mother-in-law is mexican and she says that putting rubbing alochol on a body part that hurts takes the pain away... she also has tried to get me to do everyone of these! LMAO sooo funny!

Oh and you have to always wear socks because walking barefoot on a cold floor causes cancer.

Anonymous said...

LMAO... im half mexican and half french and both sides have their so called "miraculous cures"... came down with strep couple months ago..my mom called me told me "put vicks on it" apparently vicks kills a bacterial infection...lol and then she got pissed when i told her vicks doesnt work on bacteria..plus im a biology major

Anonymous said...

yeah i dont appricate some of the racial comments u made

Marcos said...

Anonymous... I don't care that you don't like some of what you may think are "racist" comments. I'm not politically correct, never have been and never will be. So bite me. This is MY blog and I will do with it as I see fit. If you don't like it or are "offended" then click on the 'next' link and don't bother reading. But to come on here, post your dislike, and yet remain anonymous is chicken shit and typical. Let me guess, you're a mexican, or someone in your family is mexican, or someone in your family knows a mexican? Or you saw one washing a window with spit and a piece of newspaper and now you think you have bonded with mexicans? I don't give 2 shits. I'M MEXICAN in case you couldn't tell. Half, if not more of my family LIVES in Mexico, starting with my dad and 2 sisters, so piss off with your politically correct idiocy. Let me guess, you probably think that Obama is the Messiah and that saying anything bad about him is also Racist?

Steven Tamayo said...

This is so true(:

Steven Tamayo said...

This is so true(:

Elia said...

This is pretty amazing. I've recently been trying to make a list of these for myself and my children to come. My mom and aunts are always telling me new ways to treat different ailments. Here are a couple I didn't see on your list.

1. Tortillas for spider/bug bites. You take a corn tortilla and put it on the stove, once it's hot press it to the bug bite. Its supposed to be as hot as you can handle, its also expected to burn a bit. Apparently it burns the venom away or something like that.

2. Massages! They are also a cure all. You can't just go to any masseuse though, it has to be a serious Mexican sobadora.
example 1, My cousin's 6 month old started crying all the time for no apparent reason so she had to go to the sobadora to get her head massaged.
example 2, I had been trying to conceive for over a year and wasn't getting pregnant so my mom took me to a sobadora to get a uterine massage, three weeks later I was officailly pregnant and now my daughter is two weeks
example 3, while at the sobadora's a man showed up with his daughter who was throwing up so that she could have her stomach massaged to make her stop vomiting.

Oh how I love being Mexican and learning about our crazy Mexican ways.

Unknown said...

Or putting a creme ,that is supposed to take fear away, on the body and having to stay under a blanket to sweat for an hour. Then not being able to shower for 2 days.
Very uncomfortable when done by abuelita

Unknown said...

I am American. I was in a relationship with a Mexican. I am very ill. Many of these things were done to me. I never knew what remedy was for what but it always made me well. Some of these things are spiritual. There are different types of curanderas. One who works in light/good. One who works with dark/bad. One who does both. I made it clear that I am light and no matter what was done to help me it must not be of darkness or harm another. This experience began me on my own spiritual path. I am thankful it led me to asking God to guide me in working with his light to help others as well as myself.