Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A bitter sweet night last night

So I finally decided to go back to shooting as I'd been telling myself I would for a very long time now. Shot USPSA match and came in 5th place out of 14 shooters. Not bad for not having competed in about 3-4 yrs. First round didn't go all that well as I had several misses but the hits were dead on.

That was sweet...

Bitterness struck as I was having dinner later that evening. I got a text message that the news was reporting an air ambulance had crashed into the South Padre Island bay. I was very concerned as I have friends that work there. I started making some calls. Decided to call my friend Raul to see if he had any details... turns out that it was him and another one of my friends that were the victims of this crash.

10 yrs ago, on June 5 of 1998, we lost 3 friends in a helicopter crash with the same company.
Carlos de la Fuente RN/EMTP Brenda Leinweber EMTP and Tony Martinez Pilot were lost in a senseless wreck that never should have happened.

Today I mourn the loss of two more friends to the same fate...

RIP Raul Garcia
RIP Mike Sanchez

I did not know the pilot, but my thoughts are with his family.

No comments: